Sunday, June 2, 2013

Greenland from 35,000 feet

After eight months abroad, mostly in Budapest, I'm finally back home in California for a spell!  It is nice to be back in familiar surroundings, where everyone speaks English and the beach is just a stone's throw away.

On my flight home we went right over Greenland and I got a good look at this stunning scenery just out my window.


The middle was mostly flat and pure white, with a few mountain ridges poking up here and there.  It seems unlikely that humans have ever set foot on these mountain tops, so isolated and removed.  I felt fortunate to be able to gaze on them myself.

 
Along the west coast the scenery became much more rugged, with larger peaks leading down to the sea and deep fiords carved out by still visible glaciers.


I think that what surprised me the most was how little anybody else on the plane seemed to care about this view.  People were too busy sleeping or watching their personal entertainment systems to pay any attention at all.



To me this was definitely something special, to see a landscape so far away from our modern human existence.  I figured, I can watch a movie anytime!  Or sleep for that matter.  This was Greenland!  Maybe some day I can come back and actually set foot on this mysterious land mass.  Until then, this brief glimpse will have to do...


No comments:

Post a Comment